Monday, July 5, 2010

Some Seasonally Appropriate Weather

It is so, so hot today. I know, I know, wah wah wah, you live in Canada. But seriously dudes, inland, the weather hits extremes that we just didn't have on the coast where I grew up. The reported high today was supposed to be 34 (Celsius, obviously), but since the thermometer was reading 36 yesterday at 10am when the high was only supposed to be 29, I wouldn't be surprised if today was much higher. Never mind the Humidex, which was most likely pushing 40. No breeze, and the humidity is so thick that the graveyard across the street is hazy looking.

The upside of all this was that I managed to get quite a lot done in the library today. The cool, cool library, with central air conditioning, big windows, and comfy chairs. First I was at McGill, where the thermostat read 20.1 -- and I was freezing! I had enough forethought to bring a long-sleeved tshirt, but I was sitting there in my shorts and flip flops freezing my butt off and trying to not let my toes go completely numb. But I was able to find a gold mine of an article, one that gives lots of detail about a set of debates that I'm looking into, so it was definitely worth the trek over there. (Yes, I said "trek". Here in Montreal we have two seasons: winter and construction. The two closest bus stops to my library were closed due to construction, so any time that I would have saved by taking the bus in the first place was lost during my doubling-back. Yeesh.)

When I had finally lost all feeling in my extremities, felt my eyeballs rolling around my head, and began losing the ability to type simple words, I decided to pack it in for lunch. I took a nice break with a friend of mine at a local food court where I rudely brushed off a guy hawking magic tricks table to table. All he said, though, was, "Well, thank you for your candor" before heading on his way. So I felt like a jerky schmuck. Or a schmucky jerk, whichever.

Then I detoured down to the Concordia library to finish up my notes, and I am officially over 100 pages on my secondary source notes. But good grief, the primary sources are so hard to sit through. I was seriously considering just printing out the hundreds of pages that they take up, because paper is always easier to deal with than a computer screen. We'll see.

I'll try to sleep tonight. Ha ha ha. It's just so dang hot. One day I will have a house with air conditioning, but that's a different post for a different time. Right now all I can hope for is a breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment